This year, the WooThemes team met for a week-long, working retreat and decided to use the trip as an experiment to connect with their customers by testing out their own products in the real word to measure social media success.
The goal was to get the team together for usual company brainstorming, but they also wanted to practice what they preach and show off their new themes and applications for small business. They set up a blog, iPhone applications, and used Twitter and Facebook to stay connected with customers and fans. The results were a great social media success, with website visits up 55 percent, unique visits up 52 percent, and page views higher by 13 percent. The experiment in social media generated 5 key takeaways that any small business can learn from:
- Social media doesn’t have to be complicated to be successful.
- You can tie social media into anything.
- Know what you want to get out of social media before going into it.
- Transparency builds trust, and trust can lead to sales.
- When you can, practice what you preach.
WooThemes used their own products in a unique way to make a connection with their current customers, increase their social presence with new customers, and most importantly increase sales.