When it comes to social media marketing, color reigns supreme.
Over 92% of people say that visual stimulation is the #1 influencing factor affecting their purchase decision. Harmonious colors engage viewers and attract customers to your brand. Digital Marketing Consultant Wade Harman explains the importance of color in social media marketing in his article, “Color Psychology – Marketing Strategies for Social Media.”
Does Color Affect Your Marketing?
Humans are in tune with the subconscious areas of our brains. Emotionally, color psychology affects us on a level that we may not even realize. Colors on the blue side of the spectrum are often described as calm, and may invoke feelings of trust, tranquility, and influence. Warm colors like reds and yellows can trigger a range of emotions from warmth and comfort to anger and hostility.
A study from HubSpot demonstrates the effect of color choice in digital marketing. They tested two versions of a call-to-action button. Green – friendly and non-threatening – and red – a more bold and dominant color. Their results showed that the red button outperformed the green button by 23%.
Everyone is unique, and we all react to stimuli in different ways. Color can play a significant role in how we perceive brands. Research by Kissmetrics shows how most people recognize color in their decision making process:
- Yellow | Optimistic and youthful, often used to grab attention
- Red | Energy, creates urgency, often seen in clearance sales
- Blue | Trust and security, often seen with banks and businesses
- Green | Wealthy, easy to process, used to relax in stores
- Orange | Aggressive, creates a call to action
- Pink | Romantic and feminine, used to market products to women
- Black | Powerful and sleek, used to market luxury products
- Purple | Soothing and calming, often seen in beauty or anti-aging products