Most eCommerce websites will encounter low conversion rates at some point. Anne Fisher provides helpful tips to boost online sales in her article, “Orange Buttons Boost Online Sales.”
Anne discusses how small changes can significantly boost online sales. “For instance, changing the color of a button on our site increased sales by 20%. We also found that you can double conversions just by moving some key phrases from the left side to the right.”
10 Tips to Increase Sales
1. Use My. Replace the word “your” with “my.” Using ‘my’ helps create a relationship with the buyer. Consumers would rather buy something they know someone else has already purchased.
2. Emphasize Free. If you business offer something for free, make it clear. No one wants to pay for something they have never used before or can get elsewhere for free. Include the word “free” where applicable.
3. Ensure Privacy. Online privacy is a concerning topic for millions of people. Include a disclaimer that informs users that making a purchase through your site is 100 percent safe. Emphasize that personal information collected is protected and will not be sold or distributed to other companies.
4. Use Active Phrases. Avoid using the word “Submit” on buttons used to make a purchase. Instead, opt for a descriptive word or phrase that reminds users what they are subscribing to or buying.
5. Orange Buttons. Online eCommerce websites like Amazon and eBay have trained consumers to look for an orange button to make a purchase. It’s been proven that color choice does influence customer purchases.
6. Placement. Images and videos should be placed on the left side of your homepage to boost your conversion rate. Millions read left to right, so it is important to have content where users first look.
7. Personalization. Highlight products using small photo tags like “new, staff pick or just for you” to encourage users to buy.
8. Consistency. Your advertising should match your branding message and your website design. Don’t confuse customers with inconsistency. It will hurt your conversion rate.
9. Avoid Videos. Don’t turn away customers with long boring videos. If you need to include videos on your website, you should keep them to under 90 seconds.
10. Evaluate. Regularly test the effectiveness of your marketing campaign. Update your tag lines and slogans as needed to keep your brand fresh.