Everyone is talking about social media, but what really is social media? Sandrine Sahakians makes it easy with social media explained in metaphors.
We all want to be a part of it, understand it, and look for tips and tricks to get better at it. But what is social media really like, and what is social media explained? Sometimes you need to put things into perspective.
Sandrine Sahakians, blogger at Buffer Social, has compiled an assortment of clever comparisons that attempt to explain what social media is all about. Check out some of our favorites from her witty list of “20 Metaphors That Explain Social Media Perfectly.”
Social Media Is…
- …like a water cooler – people come to talk about the latest news, Game of Thrones’ latest jaw dropping episode and to make a connection.
- …like standing in the middle of the room and yelling ‘I LIKE BAGELS!’ and one person yelling back ‘I LIKE THAT.’
- …like planting a tree – it takes patience, persistence, caring for a continued period of time and then suddenly one day you start seeing the first sprout of what you planted so long ago.
- …like cooking – keep the ingredients (your content) fresh, offer a variety of dishes, keep it simple, experiment and always provide tender loving care.
- …like a puppy – it’s cute and cuddly and looks easy to take care of at first, and then you realize that it needs constant attention and care.
- …like ancient Egypt – writing things on walls and worshiping cats.
- …like parenting – just when you think you’ve got it figured out they change the rules of engagement.
- …like dating – you have to build a connection/relationship first before starting to push your product onto someone.